The Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) offers a variety of programs tailored to meet the needs of our community here at Cal. Our Intercultural Training Specialists will work with you and your teams, students, and colleagues to design workshops and trainings that will allow you to effectively work in intercultural and interpersonal contexts.
Higher education is internationalizing at a rapid pace in the U.S. and in the world. At Cal, the international student population continues to increase, and the campus community is more diverse than ever. Learning to mindfully and effectively engage with difference is both a challenge to face and an opportunity to embrace.
From brief intercultural effectiveness workshops and self-assessments, the Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) offers ongoing training opportunities for Cal staff to proactively address daily intercultural challenges such as:
- Communicating and working effectively with international and multicultural staff members, faculty, students, and visitors
- Managing conflict across cultures
- Cultivating a positive and inclusive work environment that promotes understanding, collaboration, and productivity
- Enhancing support for international students, scholars, and colleagues
Participants in CIL workshops receive practical tools to help them understand their own and others’ culturally-motivated behaviors, take action, and get immediate and long-term results.
Academia is more global than ever. With the rapid internationalization of higher education, faculty face increasing demands to conduct collaborative research on international teams, teach with a global lens, and develop students as global citizens. These demands require advanced intercultural communication and effectiveness skills for optimal outcomes.
Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) offerings can provide you with practical tools to expand your teaching and research impact.
- Learn strategies for teaching to the varied learning styles and expectations in an international and multicultural classroom
- Manage diverse work and communication styles on international/multicultural research teams
- Develop new frameworks from which to analyze your research and impact
The Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) offers workshops for International House staff that help you maximize your positive impact. Below are a few examples of CIL offerings for better results in the workplace:
- Work and communicate effectively on multicultural and international teams
- Enhance your understanding and support for international and multicultural residents
- Promote the International House mission in the workplace: cultivating a positive, inclusive, and innovative team
- Develop tools for managing conflict across cultures among staff and residents
In today’s global work environment, employers are under pressure to find employees who are not only technically proficient, but also culturally competent and able to thrive in a broad array of contexts. As a Cal student, you have a distinct advantage: difference is all around you. The international population continues to grow each year and the campus community is more diverse than ever.
Engaging effectively with difference is a critical skill set for professional, academic, and personal success. From brief intercultural effectiveness workshops, to semester-long courses for academic credit, the Robertson Center for Intercultural Leadership (CIL) offers experiential learning opportunities for Cal students to develop as global citizens and global leaders.