We believe learning through active experimentation and reflection is the most powerful and effective way to develop global competence. All of our educational experiences and workshops are participant-driven and interactive. Learners engage in facilitated simulations, intentionally-designed activities, interactive theater, and even immersive virtual reality experiences, drawing upon their own experiences and strengths to co-create the learning experience. They have the opportunity to develop strategies with thoughtful and professional feedback, and practice skill-building in a safe, low-risk environment.
Global Competence is…
The knowledge, attitudes, and skills required to positively engage and collaborate effectively in environments of high diversity, uncertainty and change.
A globally competent individual:
- Develops self awareness and recognizes and appreciates diverse perspectives, worldviews, and ways of being in the world
- Examines and analyzes local, global, and intercultural issues, and exercises curiosity and a continuous learning posture in these domains
- Engages positively, respectfully, and effectively with others who are different from them
- Stewards power responsibly and towards positive impact for a more peaceful and just world
Our Global Competence Offerings
- Global Leadership for the 21st Century: A semester-long experiential course offered to UC Berkeley students and International House residents
- Global Leadership and Innovation: A 2-week intensive experiential learning program offered to students from around the world and from different institutions.
- Global Competence Training for Teachers: An interactive, day-long professional development workshop for teachers working in a multicultural classroom or those interested in demonstrating global competence in the classroom. Includes an immersive, skill-building experience through the use of virtual reality and AI simulations.
- Global Competence Online Certificate Course: An interactive online course, preparing students with skills to make the most of their experiences abroad.
- TEFL Certification, International Teaching and Global Effectiveness: An online, self-paced 120 hour course that prepares educators for teaching and living abroad.